Wednesday, January 23, 2013


Module 4: Blog Post  Connectivism:




 How has your network changed the way you learn?

In class today my students and I were talking about the advances in technology over the last few years and they were excited to finally have a computer lab that had current software and operating system. I wish it was Windows 8 but as with all things in time we will eventually be current.  The reason why I bring this up is it made me reflect on the fact that I have been working with computer technology longer than most of my students been alive.  Over those many years the way that I and the rest of the world view knowledge and learning have changed.  It is no longer important for us to remember hard facts that would somehow be lost and forgotten.  I no longer spend hours in the library searching through card catalogs hoping to find enough information to write a research paper or a speech in English class.  I no longer have to wait until I have a clear line on the telephone or wait till I get home to use the telephone.  Now I just need to worry if my battery is going to last or my phone will automatically transfer from one cell tower to another as I travel down the highway. 

Computer technology has availed us the opportunity to not only reach out and touch someone distance away but has provided us with an efficient means of gathering information.  Along with this technology comes other issues such as deciding if the information is correct or is someone’s idea of a sick joke.  With the various social media sites such as Facebook, MyBigCampus, Twitter, and others keeping in touch with old friends is easier than having to write a letter and send it into the U.S Postal Service.  Often, we would get tired of writing letters and the friendship sails away into the sunset.  With the Internet it also provides me with the opportunity to travel to distance lands without having to leave the comfort of my sofa and wish that I was there in person.

Which digital tools best facilitate learning for you?

My first source of searching for knowledge is going to the Internet and conducting a search using either of the following search engines: Google or Bing.  Other digital tools that I use include the following; Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, Gotomeetings,

How do you learn new knowledge when you have questions?
It really depends upon the type of knowledge that I seek.  It might be as simple as picking up a cell phone and calling an expert that might know the answer to the question that I have.  Other times it might require me to go online to Google and conduct a web search for web sites that contains the information I need.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tim
    Looking at your graphic organizer, it is extremely different from mine. I really like looking at it because I think it shows the difference in the way we though about the question. You really gave some very good examples of technology use in your profession and, ironically, many of those are the same forms of technology/social network tools that I use in my personal life.

    I loved the different take on the question.
    Thanks Tim

    ReplyDelete